Monday, June 13, 2011

Certainly smells like a Monday

I woke up to a (form) rejection.

Got an email to say the house we were hoping to buy has been sold - to someone else.

And this afternoon, after wrestling the Boo round the shop - no, put it down, no, put it down, not that, no, not for you - buying some fluorescent orange cheese because he'd bitten it THROUGH THE WRAPPER - got back to the car, put the Boo in the front so I could put the bags in the back (I have to go through the front seat cause the lock clicky thing is bust), realised the car was rolling backwards. Quite fast. Boo, at eighteen months, while unable to say his own name, is apparently capable of letting off a handbrake. Thankfully my usual perplexity was overtaken by panic and I managed to push past the confused baby and hoik on the handbrake, leaving the car diagonally across the carpark and my hands shaking.

Still. Also this happened:

Boo fell in love in the library. He met a girl from Canada, gave her a very gentle hug and followed her round, pointing at the heart on her jumper.

I found a new way of putting on eye make up.

The car only rolled a few feet and not over mine.


Roll on Tuesday. Actually, stay where you are, I'll come to you.

10 comments:

Danielle said...

:-/ for the house...

horray for saving you and the baby..and for the make up:-)

Jo said...

Yes, Hurray, Supermum!

A friend of mine put her baby on the front seat, with the keys to play with, while she loaded the shopping. The baby clicked the lock shut and locked himself in. While my friend was trying not to panic, and get secruity to help, he fell onto the floor and started crying.

She was on the phone to her husband, about to break a window, when the security guy I think managed to get the kid to press the button.

Children. Jesus. The handbrake story is scary. I really don't think he should be able to do that - either he's a Titan baby or your handbrake's not stiff enough?

Sorry about the house and the story. They weren't the One!

Erobintica said...

that will be one of those stories you'll be telling for years!

glad it was "just one of those stories" :)

It's not Monday, it's Momday ;)

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks, guys. You make me sound all heroic, when really I was just harassed and fuckin dipsy, as usual! I do admire these people who have shiny hair and poise and gracious smiles. Somehow I'm alwyas, always the one covered in marmite and toast crumbs and struggling with fifteen shopping bags while my trousers fall down. Sigh. The elegance fairy passed me by ...

Emerald said...

I'm so glad you and the small one are okay!

Funny, Nikki, your writing has almost always struck me as elegant...I suppose I just considered you such by default. ;)

In all seriousness, "elegant" or not, I have always found you lovely. Glad you observed some pretty things today amidst the not so thrilling.

Xoxo

Fulani said...

Yes, I think we all have 'war stories' from bringing up our children! Of several I can think of, one involved rescuing one of my kids from the roof of the house. And there are worse ones than that as well... Glad yours worked out ok and without injury or damage.

A new way of putting on makeup? That's making my imagination go places it shouldn't go. For some reason I have a mental image of Damian Hirst and his spin paintings. I'm sure that wasn't what you meant though!

Nikki Magennis said...

Ah, Emerald, perhaps I pour all my elegant-efforts into the writing, leaving the kerfufflish me for the real world ... anyway, thanks so much for your kind words, I'm really touched.

Fulani, all these war stories make my blood run cold. I think the whole idea of raising children is terrifying! What the hell am I doing?!

As for the make-up, it's actually really dull. I just worked out a new eyeliner configuration. For me, this is groundbreaking!

Kristina Wright said...

Oh goodness, what a day you had! I'm glad you got through it and that Jake is okay (and you too)! Babies! Oh my!

Wayne A. "Tony" Conaway said...

Well, you had a rough Monday. But you got a good story out of it. And you ended your story with a zeugma! (Or do you call it a syllepsis on your side of the pond?) "The car only rolled a few feet and not over mine." Very nice!

By the way, there are men who are attracted to women covered in Marmite and toast crumbs. Especially with their trousers down.

Nikki Magennis said...

Zeugma? Syllepsis? What wonderful words - I shall have to look them up. Thank you!