Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Zero Sum

Today, god help me, I decided to try a sonnet. I am working with about a third of Jeremy Edwards' prompt as inspiration - my internet connection is erratic and I can't seem to download more than the top part of the image.


Zero sum


The more I see of your face the less
I know of my own. My fingers knead
your strange curves, run over the crease
in the centre of your brow. I read

the stories in your not-green, not-grey eyes
but I mouth them with my own lips
not yours, so render them – if not quite
outright lies, at least far enough slipped

from the truth to know them uniqely
deluded dreams, our shared myth,
if you will, the things we hear obliquely
or say without speaking, divine from the hiss

of static between us, the blur
of who we are and what we once, perhaps, were.

9 comments:

Fulani said...

I've been watching your poetry posts for the last week or so and enjoying what I'm seeing. It's cool. I take it you know that poetry has suddenly become the new big thing on the live lit scene? There are new poetry events near me in the Midlands that started up a few months ago and now regularly attract audiences of well over 100 to the back rooms of various pubs on weekday nights. If I were you I'd be looking to get involved and do some public readings.

Nikki Magennis said...

Hi Fulani,

Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad you're enjoying reading the poems.

I don't think I'm likely to make it to the live lit scene in this lifetime, though it does sound like lots of fun. Scenes of any type rather terrify me.

Tony said...

Great piece, Nikki. I really must try one of the standard forms myself, but wouldn't have the nerve to do it in such a short time. Well done.

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks a lot, Tony. I used to write quite a lot of sonnets - they are (maybe) something one finds a little easier with practise. But then again ... easier doesn't mean better! : )

misternoble said...

For someone who professed nervousness about writing poems at all this month, you're sure doing a stellar job. Every single one has been a gentle revelation. Thanks!

Nikki Magennis said...

Bill, that's a wonderful compliment, thank you!

Madeline Moore said...

I love your sonnet.

Jeremy Edwards said...

Brava!

Fulani said...

You may not want to do the live lit performance thing, but where I am there are a couple of organisations that get well-attended back rooms of pubs for live sessions but also publish collections for which they have calls for submissions, and which sell well to the live audiences and that might be something worth investigating. I'm sure the same kind of scene is happening where you are. Or else check out the expanding number of poetry mags showing up on literary databases like duotrope.com. Good luck, anyway - I'm enjoying reading what you're doing.