Sunday, April 24, 2011

Bells! I hear bells!

I just got my copy of With This Ring, I Thee Bed, edited by the Very Reverend Alison Tyler! (And as this is an AT production, I'd like you to know that the polish is 'Royal Red' by Jessica, and the scarlet glass beads were a present from boyf - something along the lines of a ring, I suppose.)


Here's a snip from the bouquet:



I saw my sex life flash in front of my eyes, Charlie. Do you understand what I’m saying?’ I know I’m almost shouting.
Is that worse, I wonder? To have ditched Charlie in front of all his family and friends, to have left him awkward and alone at the church, or this. To tell him the truth, what I’ve been darkly afraid of all along. My lurid, cherry-red, heart-throbbing dirty secret.
I don’t know how I can promise never to have another lover. Me, who’s always been quick to get bored, and quicker to discard unsatisfactory bedfellows. Who’s been first to try every practise and position, whose whole life is punctuated by sex – exotic and romantic and thrilling and brief and heartbreaking. Yes, I love Charlie, and yes, I love fucking him. But will I really be able to sacrifice every other man in the world – every other possible man?
I think about how Charlie is and try and match it against the invisible future. I know it’s wrong, but I’m trying to measure him. Testing, to see how I love him, how much and how far.
Yes, I love how his eyelids kind of slide down a few degrees, so he’s giving me a snake’s gaze, one that slips over my body in a prelude to his touch. I love how his mouth goes tight. How his fingers travel, how he takes mouthfuls of me.
And this. Yes, I’d forgotten how much I love this.
‘Charlie?’
‘Shut up.’
How he is silent. How he pulls me to him and works his way from my wrist to my shoulders. Charlie is gentle. Most of the time.  


Excerpt from 'Now or Forever', by Nikki Magennis


Congratulations to Alison and all the authors. I'm packing the book as my honeymoon reading. 

7 comments:

Jo said...

Are you going off to get married???

Nikki Magennis said...

Oh, um, no, Jo, I was just using generally wedding-suggestive terms!

I'm not the marrying kind, really.

: )

Jo said...

That's alright then. And yeah, I should have listened to my five year old self.

Erobintica said...

Congrats Nikki! I love the line "I saw my sex life flash before my eyes." :)

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks Robin!

kristinalloyd said...

I have a confession to make: this is the only story I've read in this anthology (well, apart from my own). I don't like reading from screen and the proper copy hasn't arrived. However, when authors got the top-secret PDF several months ago to check the edits, I thought, Oh, I'll just have a quick look at the first line in the first story. And I was done for! The story would not let go of me!

A cracking piece, I was totally gripped. And it wasn't at all what you'd expect for first story in a collection like this - but it works perfectly!

Nikki Magennis said...

Kristina, wow, thank you so much! I wrote this story from a pretty honest perspective, and I really wasn't sure if it would fit in a wedding anthology, [edited to avoid spoilers], but I'm so glad you liked it!