Sunday, February 20, 2011

Parrot, dog, guppy.

Is guppy a thing one is sick as?

I've had three nasty bugs this winter, with barely time inbetween each to recover. Meanwhile, time thunders onwards and deadlines are lining up like dominoes. Right now I'm working on a story that I hope will be resonant and complex and meaningful when its done, and thinking about future stories, and an animation that I'm lying awake at night obsessing over. I can't wait to set it all up and start work.

At the same time, I'm aware that my beautiful son is swiftly growing up, and if I'm not careful I'll miss some of his wonderful, weightless and miraculous life.

These are quite wonderful problems to have, I think - to be torn between many things that one loves. Maybe the key is in learning to juggle gracefully, and not to get too upset when one inevitably drops a ball.

6 comments:

Jo said...

I love your perspective!

Fulani said...

Three bugs? We've been the same. It's been the worst winter, healthwise, for a very long time. Hope you're recovered or at least recovering. Hope you've found a way to juggle that works for you.

Craig Sorensen said...

These are quite wonderful problems to have, I think - to be torn between many things that one loves. Maybe the key is in learning to juggle gracefully, and not to get too upset when one inevitably drops a ball.

I think you're onto something!

And the second part of this is to pick up the pieces and get juggling again...

Nikki Magennis said...

Jo, I should add it's the perspective I'm striving for, not necessarily there yet!

Fulani, yes, the air is thick with bugs it seems. I am recovering, thank you.

Craig, I'm trying! Baby steps.

Jo said...

Oh. Co you have comment moderation on or did I just fail to post anything late last night?

I was going to say, I'm glad to hear it, as I deleted the negative and churlish parent part of my intiial comment before posting!

Madeline Moore said...

you will always have mother guilt, no matter what. There's noting to be done about it, except recognize what it is and remind yourself that you're a good mom and your kid loves you.

I hate to tell you but if you think you're sick all the time now, wait until he starts school.
Oh God, the germs they bring home.
It's a festival of maladies, battling each other for dominance. My kids got chicken pox, one after the other, and before either one was well enough to go back to school, they got scarlet fever. How is that possible? Luckily, I believe there's an inoculation now for chicken pox, and scarlet fever doesn't mean being rushed to the hospital in an ambulence, anymore, it just means antibiotics. Forget Mary Poppins - your best friend will be Auntie Biotics.