Tuesday, January 04, 2011

"We found the three girls lightly clad and sitting on a large sopha, and we sat down opposite to them. Pleasant talk and a thousand amorous kisses occupied the half hour just before supper, and our combat did not begin till we had eaten a delicious repast, washed down with plenty of champagne. We were sure of not being interrupted by the maid and we put ourselves at our ease, whilst our caresses became more lively and ardent. The syndic, like a careful man, drew a packet of fine French letters from his pocket, and delivered a long eulogium on this admirable preservative from an accident which might give rise to a terrible and fruitless repentance. The ladies knew them, and seemed to have no objection to the precaution; they laughed heartily to see the shape these articles took when they were blown out." 

Casanova (text Laforgue, trad. Machen)

4 comments:

Jo said...

haha, excellent!

Jeremy Edwards said...

Is it strange that I find the spelling sopha (which I haven't seen before) sort of erotic? I guess it makes me imagine a sofa on which a sophisticate named Sophie is sprawling in the nude. (Is this reasonable? Or is it mere sophistry?)

Nikki Magennis said...

So far, your comment seems perfectly logical to me, J. But perhaps that's sophamoric of me.

Jo said...

lol. I noticed that too. Such sophistry!