Saturday, October 09, 2010

Time

Writing time is inbetween time right now.

When the baby's asleep, when everything else is not threatening to drive me insane. I write. Sometimes I write in my head, while staring at a wall and doing something else.

Because there's a lot more to writing than laying words on paper. As I'm studying, as I'm working on exercises and thinking about character, story and words, I feel keys turn in locks, ships change course by degrees, and realise, every so often, that writing and life are so deeply and closely intertwined that one cannot help but affect and be affected by the other.

So now is the time, mostly, for sketching out plans, dreaming big and vague, and stripping everything back to look at what makes it all work (or not work.)

Next year, I hope to write novels.

4 comments:

Shanna Germain said...

I hope you write novels too. I love your novels. But mostly I hope you just write. Because I love your words, your keys and locks, your characters -- long or short.

Nikki Magennis said...

Och Shanna, you're so very kind, thank you.

Hey, did I tell you that I fukcing loved your story in Alison's Wonderland? Amazing. Amazing. I'm so impressed. Also, you're getting better, did you know that?

It's so exciting to see your work evolve.

Alana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alana said...

Nx,

If you want to write novels next year, you will.

A