Monday, October 04, 2010

A room of one's own

So - torrential rain all weekend. I had a grand total of four visitors that were people I had not personally invited. One of them wanted to buy a painting, but wouldn't spend more than £30. I made a breathtaking total of six pounds, (postcards) balanced against the considerable cost of taking part, insurance, printing, signmaking, cooking and all the hours of sweat, stress and toil. Also, the baby didn't sleep this weekend. At all. So, neither did I.

On the other hand - so many dear friends and family turned up, helped out, cooked, sat, played with the baby, ate, drank, laughed and washed up. My lovely neighbours all visited, even the dear old Mrs with both walking sticks who had to be helped up into the studio. The show looked fucking lovely, even if few people saw it. My new studio is now open and shiny and waiting for me to move in and start work. It's properly had its head wetted. This is the kind of weekend that I live for, really. It's been very special and I am very, very lucky.

Thanks to all of you for your virtual wishes! The event was a fiasco of sorts, it's true, but a really lovely fiasco from where I'm sitting.

5 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

I know that sort of fiasco. Been through a few with my wife, so I know of what you speak.

Congrats!

Jo said...

Ah, Nikki, I'm sorry it wasn't a more lucrative outcome. All my endeavours of late have been similar. I don't know what the answer is!

But, from a community viewpoint, it sounds lovely :) Wish I could have come.

Rest now! Rest!

Danielle said...

ah nikki...that studio of your looks adorable..:-)

you know i like to see the good parts rather then the bad parts..and when i read that post it occurs (is that a word???) to me that the good parts weight out the bad parts....:-)

the word is : donnit...and it sees like you really have donn it in style:-)

Nikki Magennis said...

cheers, Craig!

Jo - ach, in this case, I know exactly what the problem was - piss poor organisation and zero publicity! Next year, I'll do the bloody thing myself.

Danielle - absofuckinglutely! It's a gift, really, to ask for lots of strangers, and instead get lots of friends and family. I woke up smiling.

Fulani said...

Well you did it, you have the postcards and pictures, you've surmounted huge obstacles just to get the event up and running, and you know your family (and even the neighbour) supports what you're doing. That's a huge number of positive things to build on for the future.