Monday, September 20, 2010

Daybreak

I woke up early this morning, crept out of bed and walked silently out of the house. Left you curled warm in your sleep cocoon. I wore only my sleeping T-shirt, the thin cotton one with the snags and the dropped hem, trailing red thread. I walked out into the garden where the dew was heavy on the grass. My bare feet were soaked, so cold my bones ached. Cut grass stuck to my ankles. Shivers ran up my legs. No-one else was up, not even the birds. Everything was perfectly still. The air slid over me like a river.

5 comments:

baddoggerel said...

Thanks for posting, Nikki. I hope your art show prep is going well. -Dan

Nikki Magennis said...

Hi Dan, well, it's going! The studio is getting plastered as we speak. I wish I was.

Nice poems, by the way!

Jeremy Edwards said...

The air slid over me like a river.

Oooh—what a gem of a closing line!

baddoggerel said...

Thank you, Nikki. That means a lot, especially knowing how busy you are!

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks Jeremy!