Friday, August 20, 2010

Missing you

There are the times when the kiss has missed and landed clumsily; half on a cheek, half meeting air, when my mouth slipped, bumped against your collar and I came away with just the scent of you in my nostrils. When the moment passed, the body wilted, the lights came up too soon or the baby cried.
When we’ve fallen back or broken away and been too shy to meet each other’s eyes, but met them anyway and for a few racing seconds held our gaze and looked beyond and found there such electric freshness, such clear and beautiful longing.

3 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

Beautiful.

I love the depiction of awkwardness.

Madeline Moore said...

I love all these vignettes.
'I miss you like cigarettes'
is a line that lives in my mind,
and will, forever.

Nikki Magennis said...

Aw, thanks both! Madeline, I'm really touched.