Friday, August 20, 2010

Lightness falls

I lay down this evening as usual to feed the baby to sleep. He taught me patience, and the courage to make promises. Hush, hush. Everything’s okay.
I hold his feet while he kicks, and wait until his eyes start to close. Slowly he stills. The bed becomes a boat rocked by heartbeats. Once we are curled quietly like a yin yang with the light turning blue, I start to miss the cat. At night she would sit on my hip, balanced on one small warm spot, her paws neatly together, and purr us all gently into the drifting night.

4 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

Such a beautiful scene. Excellent.

Madeline Moore said...

I'm sad the kitty isn't there to purr you gently into the drifting night. . . My kitty's purr is the sound of an outboard engine, but it, too, sends me on my way, into the lapping waves of night.
And if he were gone, I would cry.
And post sad stuff on my blog.
Vow to never have another cat
and
get another cat.

Jo said...

Aw. I love Madeline's poem. I hope you decide to adopt a little fluffy new kitty soon enough :)

Nikki Magennis said...

thanks all, Madeline, yes, that's beautiful and exactly true. I'll wait a week or two though, otherwise it would be unseemly.