Wednesday, August 11, 2010

dirty books

I tear off the brown paper wrapper. Pristine, almost severe lines. Perfect. I run a hand down the spine. It’s eggshell, that satin sheen that slips so beguilingly under my fingertips. Embossed. Oh yeah. A flowing, generous font, serifs intact because, yes, this book is generous enough to add curlicues and embellishments, cute little flourishes.

I prise it open. Stick my face in deep so the pages brush and press against my cheeks, like softly furred flanks. Push and burrow my nose into the crack. Inhale.

Smells of washed bodies, unperfumed skin puffed with talc. Dry kisses. Clean sweat. Promise.





Read more of my flash fiction in Playing with Fire

6 comments:

Jo said...

Ah, book lust :)

Nice!

I was just reading your sweeties short in Frenzy last night. Check out a children's book called Smidge, for a kiddies' version, it's gorgeous!

Craig Sorensen said...

I do love your flashers, Nikki. Yum.

Nikki Magennis said...

FLASH FICTION FOR KIDS?! I must have it. Thanks Jo, off to find a copy now!

Craig - thanks!

Jeremy Edwards said...

Beautiful!

I have a flash piece about eroticizing an erotica book. We should do a fiction-fetish fiction collection!

Sharazade said...

Ooooh, I love a serif font! And a new book. Great piece.

Nikki Magennis said...

Jeremy - too fuckin right we should! Look, Sharazade is digging the serifs, we're among like minded bibliophiles with great taste here!

Actually, this wee story is one of a series of three (so far).