Thursday, August 19, 2010

And now, back to hearts and flowers. Well, hearts this week, anyway.



Heart of midlothian



High in the old city of Edinburgh, along the Royal Mile, a heart made of cobblestones is laid into the pavement. Some say that’s where they used to hang innocents, or those who had stolen to feed their family.

Also unclear is why those that pass must spit on the heart. Perhaps it’s to show contempt for the laws that valued property over life. It has become superstition, and every day the heart glistens with spit, for the same reason I tell my boyfriend that I love him every morning as he leaves; just in case he doesn’t come back.

7 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

Shit. This is powerful. Wrenching.

Of course, it is amplified, in my case, in that it touches a chord in my life. Not my personal life, but that of a dear friend who is going through some tough times.

Nikki Magennis said...

Oh Craig, I'm sorry! Bugger it, this was supposed to be the light relief!

Hm, maybe I should off for the weekend and come back sunny and smiling.

Erobintica said...

Ah, but that's the power of writing - it touches individuals in ways unexpected. This short piece is stunning.

Nikki Magennis said...

Thank you, Robin.

Craig Sorensen said...

Yes, don't feel bad, Nikki. It's the place I'm at right now. The "leaves and doesn't come back" combined with "those who had stolen to feed their family" touched in a certain way.

Don't feel bad about this. I appreciated the sense that this flasher brought.

It touched me.

Anne Tourney said...

Nikki,

You probably sensed that I'd been prowling around on your blog; I've been pretty much offline for the past couple of years and am just getting caught up on some of my favorite writers. These flash pieces are stunning. This one is chilling and keenly touching at the same time.

I will have to find a photo of an old wooden horse-shed that's not far from my house. It makes me remember your shed fetish!

~ Anne

Nikki Magennis said...

Craig, I'm glad.

Anne, it's really odd. Yesterday my boyf and I went for a walk by a deserted old house. It's a big house, a kind of mansion, but has been empty for years. We'd walked past it but after a minute I turned round, to see the security guard in the window, watching us.
How the hell does that happen?!

Look forward to seeing the horse-shed! Glad to see you back, and thanks for stopping by.