Thursday, September 03, 2009

How to get over the war

“She gave him the baby and he cut the baby’s head off.”



In some ways, the soldier cut off his own head. In some ways, he cut off mine.

Years after the attack, I want superpowers. In dreams I skew time, take the baby from the soldier, cut off the soldier’s head with my free hand, turn his face to let him watch his own death, stem the blood flow from his neck, let him rewind his own guilt endlessly over the story that never played, the baby that was saved, the life that was never taken, yet still lost.

7 comments:

neve black said...

Oh, Nikki, this jolted me.

A few months ago I went to see a film at Cleveland's International Film Festival called The Tour. I sat next to my Serbian friend (whom I'm dating now) and the entire theater was filled with people he knew. It was one the most incredibly emotional experiences for me, because I realized that nearly every person in that room had lost someone they knew in that bloody, bloody war.

The film is incredibly well done. For me, it was more than just a glimpse into that world. I felt like I was there; not taking a side, but feeling remorse, fear, pain and sadness. It's poignant and if you get a chance (I know you have other things on your mind these days) - I've copied the link below.

http://www.clevelandfilm.org/ciff_films_find-details.php?fid=2836

Nikki Magennis said...

Hi Neve,

The film looks amazing, I'll have to see if it's on release over here.

Thanks for commenting. I know this flash is a bit off the path of erotica and so on, but I read that article and couldn't get past the story without writing something about it, somehow.

Craig Sorensen said...

Damn Nikki. That is so powerful. I don't know what else to say.

Danielle said...

where is my coment from earlier?,,,dang..lost in the www...anyway..i wrote that i was really surprised about this intense and powerful peace..its far from erotica but a literary gem i think..i would like to read more from this direction...

Nikki Magennis said...

Hey Craig and Danielle. Thanks for coming by and your comments.

Alana said...

Holy Christ, this is . . . I'm speechless. Awesome.

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks so much, Alana. I appreciate it.