Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Somebody else's shorts, and also

I'm knackered and losing the power of speech today, so instead of one of yesterday's half-done flashes, here is a fabulous flash site. All the stories are written in six sentences, which maybe rather obvious given the title ...

There's a whole free online magazine that is beautifully presented, too.

***

Also, here's an interesting article on sex in fiction. The author is asking for a return to coyness. Could we not perhaps find an elegant balance somewhere between prurience and blushes and actually have sex in fiction at least somewhat as it usually is in real life - an important part of the whole? Oh maybe not even elegant, fair enough. Just acknowledged.


***

And Shanna Germain writes a storming post about genre here. I'm an ex genre snob. Luckily I'm curing myself of it - in part by reading fabulous writers who are considered 'genre' and in part by growing up and admitting to my crime habit.

I mean, crime novel habit.



Anyway. I have just burned the hot chocolate I was making. If you don't believe that it's possible to burn hot chocolate, likely you haven't ever been seven months pregnant. Am off to open the windows and think about word patterns. Back soon.

3 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

Cool! I've been enjoying all the flashiness that seems to be going around lately.

Interesting article on sex in fiction. I can understand the perspective, but I don't do "coy" so well...

Discussion at Shanna's was fun!

Nikki Magennis said...

Hi Craig,

I think it might be my favourite form. I expect it's the same as 'prose poetry', right?

Craig Sorensen said...

That's certainly how I like to think of it, Nikki. A sort of fusion...