Friday, August 21, 2009

Noah's wife, name forgotten

Dropping her coat on a chair she went out into the back yard and turned her face up to the sky. The rain was a soft drizzle.

She remembered all her mistakes, the hundred sandbags she’d gathered and stacked around her sandstone house built on the thick slipping local brown sand. She remembered the regrets she’d borrowed from others and hoarded like treasure.

She remembered most of all whispering over the drone of an engine that she’d been broken, hasn’t everyone been broken? And she realised, as the sun broke like honey, that ‘yes’ is the hardest word to say.




I realised the other day that I keep posting these little flashes with mostly no explanation. All the short short pieces I write are 100 words long, not including the title. It's an arbitary discipline, but I enjoy working within that restriction. Right now, with hormone-brain sapping my concentration, 100 words is also about as much as I can manage ...
Anyway, I was saving this piece for the collection I'm (secretly) trying to put together, but I thought it was somehow relevant to the discussion about Bukowski and the artist and the work and whatnot, and I wanted to say thanks for all the fascinating and thoughtful responses to that post.
The title is as yet uncertain.


Edited to add: In fact, the whole piece is as yet uncertain. Heh.

And also: Sorry if you came by looking for erotica. I appear to have taken a side road this year. I'll probably circle back there at some point.

9 comments:

neve black said...

Nikki, you're a rare gem.

You're heart and soul is erotic and beautiful.

Nikki Magennis said...

Blimey, Neve, I don't know what to say. Thanks!

Danielle said...

i love those short short short thingies...i mean..100 words but a whole story..love it!

Janine Ashbless said...

This is about 8 billion miles over my head...

I iz thick!
:-)

Lana Fox said...

Hi Nikki,

Pleased to have found you.

Thanks for your great piece. I write short shorts too and I really enjoyed yours. I find restriction brings out the power, know what I mean?

Peace, Lana

Nikki Magennis said...

Hey Danielle, yes, I think 100 words is juuuuust the right amount, very often! I just wish they'd come up with a better name than 'drabble'.

Nikki Magennis said...

Janine, oh bollocks, that was boyf's response to this one too. Which means that I've screwed it up. Certainly, I'm not clever enough to write something over your head except by accident. The only thing is that lately I'm trying to write things that aren't really 'gettable' - if that makes sense. More suggestible and oblique. So perhaps a bit confusing is okay. Perhaps. Or maybe hormones really have turned my brain into soup.
Anyway, this one needs work. Thanks!

Nikki Magennis said...

Hey Lana,

Oh, how nice to meet a fellow short-shorter! Am off to read your stuff right away! (Great name, too, btw.)

N

Janine Ashbless said...

Oh god, don't judge things by my response: clearly other people do get it. It's my problem, not yours. I'm just a bit literal-minded (which is why I like Erotica and not modern literature, lol). I sit there going, "Huh? But there wasn't an engine on Noah's ark! What's the setting supposed to be?" And although I love ghost stories I go into rages of frustration trying to "solve" Aickman's stories, which are suggestible and oblique and aren't supposed to be understood.

You're a beautiful writer Nikki.
:-)