Monday, August 03, 2009

Morning

Oh, I have Things to Share!


First of all, a lovely review of 'Pleasure Bound', edited by Alison Tyler, in which the reviewer says:

"Nikki Magennis kicks off the collection with "Handfast," a half-page reminder that bondage doesn't necessarily have to involve whips and chains – and also that it can be utterly romantic."


(Thanks to Shanna and Alison for pointing that one out.)

I never can be sure where my work fits on the love/sex/romance spectrum. Or even the proper differences between being a Romantic and being romantic. (And it's far too early on a Monday to try and work it out.)

***

Publisher's Weekly has an interesting article on the state of eros/romance/sexssay books, here.

***

Shanna Germain has just announced the launch of MindFuck Fiction - which promises to be an organic, hands-on, interactive, lolapaloozalovely type of press. And for which I shall write stuff.

(Once the wreck that is my train of thought has realigned and does no longer just say babybabybabybaby all day. (Yes, I know that may be some time!))

***

And lastly, boyf and I went and bought some baby stuff. I don't know the last time I felt less adequate and more bewildered. Anyway, although baby clothes for the most part fail to move me, I thought this little thing was really cute. Unfortunately, in the picture it seems to look mostly sinister ...



Black Lace books contain fantasies. In real life, always practise safe sex or you, too might end up lost in Mothercare ...

15 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

Congrats on all accounts, especially the sinister baby outfit...

Jeremy Edwards said...

Echoing Craig's congrats!

I like the self-referential aspect of the baby costume. (Does the teddy bear have a small image of yet another teddy-bearish being on its leg?)

I think in order to qualify as a capital-R Romantic, you're required to log a certain number of miles in the Lake District.

Shanna Germain said...

omg... I laughed so hard at that last bit!

And... hm... yeah, sinister for sure. Like, there's no way I'm sleeping in your kid's bed or eating his porridge!

:)

Best, s.

Nikki Magennis said...

I was so disappointed. It took a lot of effort before I found something cute. Mostly I just looked at things adn thought - 'hmm, small, naff and inordinately expensive.'

then I find a bearsuit and it looks like the sodding grim reaper, in invisible mode.

Janine Ashbless said...

lol! Wraith baby!

Danielle said...

lol..i love that baby outfit..actually i have the very same in chocolate brown and mouse-grey..with ears and tails..not for me of course...lol

Nikki Magennis said...

Hm, now who was it who had the mouse outfit? Was it Sommer?

Danielle said...

ah thats a longggg story..:-)

by the way miss magennis..where i can i finde your email adress...

Nikki Magennis said...

Right here:

nikki dot magennis at googlemail dot com.

neve black said...

Please, allow me to offer a very delayed, but heart-felt congratulations on your baby, Nikki.

I didn't know when or how to slip that in here. I suppose dummy me could have sent you an e-mail, eh?
*slaps forehead*

How wonderful to be expecting a baby! So exciting!!

Nikki Magennis said...

- and thanks again, Neve! Yes, I can't wait for the little bug to actually be here. It's funny, carrying someone you've never met inside you.

Danielle said...

i think its a gift..to carry a baby..even i m a man if i had the chance to get pregnant i would do it without thinking..just for the feeling..just for the moment when you hear another heart beat under your own...

Kristina Wright said...

I love your disclaimer!

At least you're looking at baby clothes and actually buying something (sinister though it may appear). I have yet to buy a single baby item except the crib! I suppose I need to venture out and find my own sinister outfit...

Oh, we're going to have such fun!

Nikki Magennis said...

Yes, it is a gift. It's amazing and wonderful. And it's also a *very long time* to carry a big bag of baby and water and blood around!

Kristina - well, I can't escape the idea that I'm living the logical consequences of all that fictional sex! I can't wait to see your sinister outfit. I don't know if they make emo baby clothes, but they probably should ...

Danielle said...

i dont know about emo baby outfits..but there are a lot rock star baby things made..:-)