Thursday, July 02, 2009

Summer storm

















I lie still and let the heat press the air from the room. Breathing is labour. Upstairs the neighbours are fighting - her voice rises to a mosquito whine. Doors slam.

I hold onto you although my hands slip. My heart has unwound and it lies across the bed, scribbled on the sheets.

Any moment you could get up and go, trailing agitation behind you. With luck you might drag a breeze into the room.

When I held out my hands the summer rain would fall into them, warm and heavy, stinging the palms, strumming my skin like knife blades.


7 comments:

Kristina said...

This is delicious writing. I can feel the rain.

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks, Kristina! It's been one of those days here. Actually, weeks of humid weather, and torrential storms today, at last!

Erobintica said...

Very nice. I love the line With luck you might drag a breeze into the room.

Danielle de Santiago said...

gosh ..nikki ..thats totally ..dont know the english word but the german word is mighty fine for it...love it..words like stolen from your diary..intimacy is so hot...

ps: i love the humid and hot weather...

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks Robin. I'm still not sure about the last analogy. I'm considering 'butter knives' - blunt but still a knife.

And thanks Danielle. Personally this weather drives me up the wall, I'm glad someone enjoys it!

Craig Sorensen said...

strumming my skin like knife blades.

Sigh.

That's all I can muster.

Nikki Magennis said...

More than enough, Craig! thank you!