Wednesday, July 29, 2009

6 am, the world turns

Nobody will remember this. Nobody will witness the redness of your mouth, or how it’s both tender and cruel.

Even as the gold starts pricking the sky, I’m forgetting. Even as you settle into that rhythm, that old back and forth, as the tree above us rocks and the fruit hangs and the legs split, mouths cleave, eyes close, the hearts beat out into the day the same old song, the same old song.

And afterwards everything is spilled, and we’re too old to play, and we’re losing everything in spite of ourselves but oh, god, was it worth it.

7 comments:

Danielle said...

how wonderfull to wake to these three little masterpieces...:-)..love it bwhen you are sleepless and productive..

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks very much, Danielle!

I reckon writing when I can't sleep at least stops me going completely insane.

Craig Sorensen said...

What a great way to start the day.

Thanks for sharing this little gem Nikki.

Danielle said...

i m not sure if i ever spoke about my lack of sleep but i m an insomniac of the worst case...so i spend most of the night reading or writing...

Alana said...

Holy shit! That was . . . holy shit, Nx. Thank you.

Nikki Magennis said...

Sorry to hear about your insomnia, Danielle. Unless you're okay with it now? I know some people don't mind too much. Me, I'm hopeless if I don't sleep.

Alana - thanks very much! It might at least be a bit holy, in a sense, as I was listening to Genesis (the biblical type, not Phil Collins) the day before I wrote these. I think that's where the tree and some of the themes come from. Who knows!

Alana said...

So I woke thinking about this poem and had to come back and read again before work. Stunning.

Love,
A