Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Scarlet


There should be an excerpt from The New Rakes in this month's copy of Scarlet. I'm still waiting for the pixies to deliver a copy, as they don't stock That Sort of Thing in the local PO.

Meanwhile, I am buried under mountains of faded notes, scraps, torn paper, typed paper, scribbled, illegible, tear-stained, felt-pen, lipstick-written, piles of notebooks that make me feel like I'm going insane. (I'm clearing out my workspace)

Do all writers have this terrible cellar full of forgotten writings? There must be a million scribbled ideas here. Some of them I still like. But their manifold, cumulative existence makes me shiver and squirm and feel guilty and unhinged. Too many words, too many ideas, too many false starts. Suitcases full of notepads. Records of old debts, lovers, heartbreaks. Letters and poems and sketches and diagrams. A box full of notes and research for each of my novels, half a dozen rough and wrong drafts for each. A handful of other, unwritten, books.

I smell the bonfires of the future ...

11 comments:

Shanna Germain said...

Oh, ha!

I was just writing about my terrible cellar on my blog too!

Must be that kind of day :)

Nikki Magennis said...

Ooh, I just read! May I borrow a man with camels and a cellar girl please? I'll return them in tip-top condition, I promise.

Nikki Magennis said...

.. and what d'you reckon: letters that I wrote to people and never sent, but the addressees have now died. Throw away?

Craig Sorensen said...

Oh dear God yes I have the cellar of forgotten writings. Sometimes I'll come across something really old and say "and what moron wrote this piece of crap. Oh yeah. It was me..."

Verification word: phallype

I'll leave it at that.

Emerald said...

I finally got a file cabinet for that very kind of thing several years ago — the organization within, however, is questionable. :) Anyway, I hear you!

LOL @ Craig!! Seriously, I am still laughing out loud at the way you worded that communication with yourself.

neve black said...

Yes, yes, YES! I have what you're calling a cellar of words written. I've stumbled across a few letters to past lovers (the tone is a little snarly), so the relationship must have been on the skids "goodbye you lousy!"

It's funny that most of my life is very organized (anal retentive) except this piece of it. Hmmmm...maybe it was a dopeldanger that wrote those old thoughs?

I did get a kick out of Craig's thoughts above. I also chuckled over "...tear-stained, lipstick-written..." Oh, how true does that sing to me, Nikki. :-)

Shanna Germain said...

I actually made the mistake of 'going through' all that stuff when I moved. I thought, "I'm going to put it all in the computer." Ha. I got down to last year's layer, realized there were 36 MORE layers under it, and then just stuffed it all in a rubber box and put it in storage. Someday, it will make somebody rich. Or scared of me!

And, here. -loans her the sexy Camel man and two of her girls, just for the day-

:)

Nikki Magennis said...

- Just in the nick of time, ta love!

I think I'm just about to stuff it all back in the boxes it came in. I can't throw it away and I'll never use it. Ach, quelle conundrum.

Nikki Magennis said...

- and Craig, oh god, I was embarrassed for myself reading some of it! Then I panic and think - Christ, have I even improved?!

Gina Marie said...

Hi Nikki,

First, congrats on your amazing collaboration! Woot! Such a beautiful thing.

I have so much wackiness in my cellar that I even find bonfire scrap hanging out in the bottom of my purse. Scribbles & scratches....now all I need is itches and matches.

Madeline Moore said...

Sounds like someone's nesting...
Felix and I did a purge of books recently. About three hundred books went to our local second hand book man. It was painful for Felix (they were his books) but necessary. Don't worry, we still have a few thousand...

As for piles of old ideas, etc. My old old ideas are stashed so deep I couldn't find them if I tried. My new old ideas are in notebooks which are piled up somewhere. My new new ideas are in the computer, where they belong.

Sounds like someone's nesting, Nikki...