Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Don't ask what the bees can do for you ...





I'm working on images of Artemis, sometimes known as the bee goddess, at the moment.

I picture her surrounded by a swarm.

And I think how we've stripped and denuded the land of bee-food and covered it with fucking patios and sprayed the remainder of our ever-more homogenised flora with poison, and filled the air with foul fumes for no good reason and I wonder if we even deserve to share the planet with such incredible creatures.

Then again, I'm also looking at images of Kali and her skull-crushing, and maybe those old gods are a lot less serene than we give them credit for. I wonder if the bees understand the buzz of life and death any better than we do.

I wonder if Artemis smokes unfiltered cigarettes. I wonder if she'd spit on the ground and chew gum. I wonder if she'd swear, over her fifty swinging breasts, at anyone that tried to stop her from satisfying her endless appetites.

12 comments:

Shanna Germain said...

Oh, hell Nikki, I've been thinking about bees too. Not as articulately as you... but still :)

Love the Artemis painting. I do, I do!

Best, s.

Gina Marie said...

Wow me too! I've been observing the spring fevered and blind drunk on nectar bumblebees that buzz like mad, spinning around and around, then pass out right in the middle of the flower....thank you Nikki and yes, unfiltered cigarettes, definitely.

Shanna Germain said...

Ooh, Nikki, I just saw your book in the Borders in Glasgow. Front and center, baby!!!!!

Nikki Magennis said...

Ooh, cool, we could start a bee cult!

(And S - well done on finding the erotica section in there! It seems to move every two weeks, from sex ed to romance to the basement to fiction ... and, um, thanks for turning it out for me! x )

Nikki Magennis said...

- I should add that at least it's not labelled the 'Western' section for some unknown reason, as it is in Braehead Waterstones.

Janine Ashbless said...

Oh wonderful. I've been to Ephesus and seen the site of the temple - it was flooded, and storks were nesting on the tops of the few remaining pillars. The museum there has 2 large versions of the well-known Artemis statue: one is now called "The Great Artemis" and the other is called "The Beautiful Artemis." They're around life-sized, and have huge charisma.

Thank you for bring back to my mind a magical holiday visit, Nikki.
:-)

Nikki Magennis said...

Oh, wow, Janine! I'm so jealous! The storks on pillars sound incredible. Did you take pictures?

Nikki Magennis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janine Ashbless said...

I did take pictures, but that was in the days B.D.C. (Before Digital Camera) so I'm afraid I can't send you one.

Emerald said...

I love bees. The Secret Life of Bees is one of my favorite novels — and I was a bee for Halloween a few years ago. :) Amazing creatures, indeed.

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks for the thougth, Janine. I foudn some stork/temple pics on google, believe it or not!

And I'll have to seek out that book, Emerald. Oh, and funnily enough, a big bumble just blew in my window. Must off and show him out.

Emerald said...

It's by Sue Monk Kidd. Such a remarkable story...it seems especially fitting for a summer read, since that's when it largely takes place. Perhaps I'll go read it again myself! :)