Monday, May 11, 2009

Experiment

Okay, thanks to Alana for this new (to me) idea! (And thanks Shanna for pointing it out). And apologies to the gods of poetry. I wrote this in 15 minutes, and it's been a very long time.



Still life


Try to imagine how it could be -
To know just when you look at the corner
That it’s not a corner but only an arrangement
Of space, one with a cat in it, sweet-eyed and
Angle-tailed, and reaching or sniffing towards
The blossoms, the starshaped white seeds that expand
Across fields, across wet skies and cold winds
Trying to rise but also to stick, wanting at the same time
To swim forever, and be held tight, wanting anchors with wings
Kittens with gills, corners with extra space, the way that arms
Encircle you so far and tight in safety, the solace of slight love
And further in anger, motherlove and murder. How it could all be
contained in a morning.

12 comments:

Shanna Germain said...

Oh, hell no, you're not resigning. Fantastic.

Loved "Kittens with gills..." on to the end. My favorite part.

Yum.

s.

Nikki Magennis said...

Really? Ha, that was the one part I thought about cutting! Thanks, S!

Craig Sorensen said...

Apologies to the gods of poetry?

I don't pretend to speak for them, but I daresay they approve.

Excellent.

I'm on my way out for the day and I already posted a blog this morning (interestingly, a poem I wrote a couple years ago) but I will take a look at the exercise soon and give it a shot. I too have been off the poetry wagon too long, and am trying to get back into the mindset.

Thanks for sharing this, Nikki (and Shanna, and Alana!)

SandyCarlson said...

Wanting the impossible all at once, to know and be all things, to accept the impossible as a wonderful dream. I like this.

Nikki Magennis said...

Yes, Craig, you and me both! I really enjoyed the poem you put up today.

- And thanks Sandy! Yes, that's pretty much the idea I think I was aiming for!

Alana said...

Nx, I think this is fucking cool.

Craig, I hope you participate too!

Peace,
A

EllaRegina said...

I think the Poetry Gods are feasting, as is their habit when you put words together.

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks, Alana and EllaRegina!

Kirsten Monroe said...

Hi Nikki,

Love "Kittens with gills also" -- and yes, the Poetry Gods are definitely feasting, dancing, and up to all kinds of naughtiness in your honor!

Anonymous said...

I liked 'The solace of slight love' - says it all, doesn't it? - Brilliant. I also liked 'kitten with gills' - but for a different reason- nostalgia, as it reminded me of 'Lulu'- my beloved 'ships cat' when I lived aboard a narrow boat. She used to dive off the aft end and swim (yes, really!!)often returning to the towpath with a fish for her breakfast! Keep it up, darling (and also your chin!)

Nikki Magennis said...

Hey Kirsten, how are things with you my dear? I hear congrats are in order for a certain PRINTED story! Yay!

- and anon, thanks!

Lively Lad said...

That last 'un was me (forgot my nom de wotsit as have been offline for a while)