Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Path forks

First of all - it seems my books have been 're-ranked' at Amazon. I'm still not happy with Amazon's vague explanation, though, and I also found out that Powell's is pretty cool. So, time for a change, I think!

In fact, that's the theme for this year. Sorry I've been quiet. I've been having big paradigm shifts. They mostly involve sitting in the sunshine, but, you know, still waters run deep and all.

I've barely been writing. My book of short stories got turned down by Black Lace. I was asked to make substantial changes and didn't want to, so now I am free of deadlines and floating in the breeze! Later, I hope to release the book elsewhere, but more on that as it transpires.

In the meantime, I've been not-thinking and listening hard. Waiting to see which way life is going to go. For the past few years I worked - well, hard for me! - at writing, and now it's time to pause and lift my head and look around.

Damn, I'm meandering here, aren't I?

Years and years ago I walked round my mother's house. I dreamed my future, all the things I wanted. Somehow, one by one, all those things have appeared. Boyf was a smiling blur until I met him. My book was a haze until I wrote it. The garden was a green tumbling mess - oh, and it really is in real life too. Sometimes it all seems like a game and I want to laugh.

I dreamed the particular colour of my writing room and the cane chair I sit in outside. Now I want to learn to see the things that are real. Sometimes the lupin leaves in dreams are easier to see than the ones right in front of you. I cannot see what flowers are at my feet

So, for a while, I'll be breathing, writing maybe a very little, and seeing where the dreams go. xxx

12 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

Dreams are a huge part of the process, aren't they?

It's the same place our stories and poems come from. Why not linger?

Cheers!

Emerald said...

Very best to you, Nikki.

Xoxo,
Emerald

Madeline Moore said...

Having been recently released from alien captivity (they attached tubes and wires to me and slit me open and messed about with my insides and then stapled - STAPLED - me back together and spit me back out into the sunshiny spring day) I'm doing lots of dreaming, too.

There's nothing like a week onboard the mothership to make me appreciate my regular life - Leo the loud mouth Siamese cat, Felix's quiet love and tasty suppers, our big bed with lots of pillows and a feathery duvet...bliss.

Enjoy your dreaming Nikki. I know something intensely creative is bound to be born from it. I don't think you can escape your talents, even if you want to.

xoxo Mad

Nikki Magennis said...

thanks, Craig, I think I may! It sounds probably a bit cliche, but I don't think I ever achieved anything without dreaming it first.

- and Emerald, I appreciate your wishes, thanks!

Mad - first of all - oh my god, are you okay? What happened? Wishing you a swift and easy recovery in a lovely feathery bed.

- and thanks also for your last comment. What a lovely thing to say! xxx

neve black said...

Hi Nikki,
Time is a gift. Linger and dream.

Jeremy Edwards said...

Enjoy the breathing and dreaming!

I've been having big paradigm shifts.See, you are getting the hang of manual transmission!

Charlotte Stein aka The Mighty Viper said...

I eagerly await your collection, Nikki, at the fabulous place it ends up. Your stories are always fab. And weirdly, just the fact that changes were requested and you walked away makes them somehow...even more intriguing.

Nikki Magennis said...

Hi Neve, I know, even though I feel like I'm completely skiving!

- Jeremy, cheers. I had to check the paradigm word. I found an interesting article, about its usage which says it's a bit wanky. But hey, so am I!

Charlotte - oh, you're so kind, thank you!
Hmm, I should work that angle, eh? 'The stories that were BANNED by Black Lace!!xx!x!!X'
Heheh.

Charlotte said...

Good luck with everything Nikki!

I can't wait for your next project whatever it may be.

Dream ... its the best thing in the world!

All the best.

xx

Charlotte Stein aka The Mighty Viper said...

"Hmm, I should work that angle, eh? 'The stories that were BANNED by Black Lace!!xx!x!!X'"

Hee! Exactly! I'm now dying to know what they're all about!

Janine Ashbless said...

Oh, best of luck Nikki. I do hope you get to see your book in print sometime soon!

Nikki Magennis said...

Charlotte - thanks for the good wishes!

and Charlotte Stein - well, I maybe should tease more, but I can't build up expectations! The stories weren't sex-focussed enough, apparently. Too literarah, I think.

And thanks Janine - I'll keep you posted!