Monday, December 01, 2008

Pixies and parfum

After years of wearing a delicious, lemon-and-watermelon Japanese perfume (l'eau par Kenzo), I've decided everything must change. New perfume for a new life.

I admit it, I'm just a tad obsessive. I spent yesterday hunting for the right one. I dove into the glamour shops I never usually brave (wearing no make-up, moisturiser or any other scent, so as not to muddle my poor nose). I charged through clouds of flowers and spice, dipped my face into dishes of coffee beans, grilled the sweet-but-mostly clueless perfume sellers.

I tried 'Green lime and cedar', and a few of the men's scents. Came home feeling nauseous and dizzy, with a bottle of 'the vert' and a strong desire to smell feet, body odour, water, soap and anything, anything other than more perfume.

I want road tar and woodsmoke, with strands of seaweed tangled through it. I want lemons cutting through the scent and a hint of oakmoss creeping up from the base. I want it sharp, hard, monochrome, with flashes of brilliant blue and grit. I want, to be honest, a custom perfume from CB I Hate Perfume.

Now I just need the money for a trip to NY, plus whatever small fortune the perfumier charges. Phhh, a girl can dream, can't she?

No comments: