Tuesday, December 23, 2008

More from the wilds

Okay, I really was going to try and not gush about her, but look - how could I not?




This is Petra. The only kitty in the local cat home - and she just happened to be the most beautiful of soft rabbit-furred gold-eyed grey-tiger-striped creatures. She has a purr like a road drill, a bright, feisty nature, and a tendency to let off the foulest fishy fart-bombs.

My last furry travelling companion died a few years ago (on Christmas Day - he did make a devastating final exit) so it's a kind of sweet synchronicity that I finally find a cat just in time for the holidays.

As for the rest of the wilds - it's amazing here. The garden's full of long-tailed, blue and coal tits*, the forest surrounding's lousy with owls, and I am so happy I think I might be dreaming. There's a deep, expansive quiet for miles in every direction and the air tastes like champagne.

I have also, for the first time ever, a room to write in. (The one with the blue walls in Petra's pic). When I first started, years ago, I worked in a broom cupboard with views of - well, nothing. Now I've got a holly bush outside the window and winter sunlight falling into the room. And a project I'm very into taking slow shape on the computer.

Life is good, little tiger!

Wishing all my readers and friends a wonderful holiday filled with peace and joy and cheer.

Nikki xxx



(and Petra)



* it's quite hard for a writer of dirty stories to avoid 'tits and pussy' jokes here. I think I deserve kudos for self-restraint, n'est ce pas?

12 comments:

Janine Ashbless said...

Oh wonderful Nikki. You sound like you have really come home! What a brilliant way to spend Christmas - hope you have a lovely time.

Janine Ashbless said...

P.S; for really incredibly awful farts that don't stop all night, try feeding her Quorn. Well, it works on greyhounds ...

Never again!

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks Janine - it really is incredible. I feel like I'm having - what would you call a nervous breakdown in reverse?!

(and thanks for the Quorn tip. I'll steer clear!)

Madeline Moore said...

Pretty Petra. What a lovely addition to your new WRITING ROOM.
Merry Christmas Nikki! Enjoy!

Nikki Magennis said...

cheers Madeline! I am! : )

Kirsten Monroe said...

Life is good indeed! I love how you described the air -- tasting like champagne....and feeling like you're having a "nervous breakdown in reverse" -- ahhh, so wonderful. Your sweet little furball is absolutely adorable!

EllaRegina said...

Nice cat!!!

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks Kirsten and EllaRegina! I seem to have no topic of conversation other than what the cat is currently doing/eating - I expect once she's grown a bit and is 5% less beautiful I'll get a life. Mebbe ... : )

Kristina Wright said...

Beautiful kitty! She's gorgeous! I'm smiling at your joy over your new home.

Saskia Walker said...

Oh Nikki, she's so gorgeous. I'm aching at her loveliness! And your new location sounds so perfect. I lost my kitteh in September and we're also waiting until we move to start again with new kittehs, so I'm happily living vicariously through your words and pictures. Gush away. ;-)

Emerald said...

She's so adorable! Thanks for sharing pictures and story about her -- the one in which she is sleeping is just precious. Congratulations on your new home and lovely feline companion, Nikki!

Happy Winter!

Xoxox,
Emerald

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks so much all of you! Petra is on my lap and purring away madly ... I think she's saying thank you too. Either that or she wants to go on youtube and watch the cat films again ...