Friday, November 14, 2008

Writing that touches


Michelle M. Pillow



Oh, I'm so glad it's Friday! Here is the lovely Michelle Pillow to give us a glimpse into her supernatural, otherworldly fiction.



Why do you write?


For the same reason I became a photographer. I like to create something from nothing, to capture moments—real or fake—and immortalize them. Plus, I think the world needs fiction. Real life is always there waiting and fiction helps us escape it if even for a few hours. With fiction we can go to new worlds, discover and learn, have experiences we might not have otherwise.


Is there something in particular that you'd like to express?


When I’m writing, I love to express the full range of emotions, not only love and romance, but obsession and desperation, family and societal duty vs heart’s desire. There’s nothing better than that little jump or worry you get in your stomach when you’re hooked on a character’s life. Happily-Ever-Afters are great, but it’s the getting there that’s the fun part.


What is the most successful piece or work you feel you've written, and why?


Marketing, business-wise, it’s my futuristic series – Dragon Lords (4 books) and Lords of the Var (5 books). They’ve been phenomenal sellers for me and fan favorites. I love to combine historical elements and ideas into my futuristics, giving them a realistic flavor while still bringing in otherworldly and supernatural elements.


Please name a recent thought, event, person or whatever that inspired you:


That’s easy. My sometimes writing partner, Raven Radio co-host, Raven co-owner and BFF, author Mandy Roth. When I’m lost, she helps me focus. When I’m bitchy, she bans me from my email. When I need to rant, she rants right back knowing I don’t mean half of what I say. When I’m super-bitchy, she tells me to take a Midol and rethink in a couple days. LOL. We’re a great team and we both bring writing strengths to the table. She’s great at science and technology. I’m more of a history buff. Just by talking, we trade ideas and inspire stories to take new turns they wouldn’t have taken otherwise.


***


Michelle M Pillow, Author of All Things Romance, is a multi-published, award winning author writing in many romance fiction genres including futuristic, paranormal, historical, contemporary, fantasy and dark paranormal. She was the winner of the 2006 RT Reviewers’ Choice Award, nominated for the 2007 RT Award, a Brava Novella Contest Finalist and a PAN member of RWA.

She co-hosts a weekly radio talk show, Raven Radio, which was recently mentioned in Romantic Times BOOKreviews Magazine.
Readers and Listeners can contact her through her website www.michellepillow.com.

Raven website
Author newsletter




Degrees of Passion by Michelle M. Pillow, Coming from Virgin Books November 25, 2008
Pre-order here


The second college student Sasha Matthews spotted Trevor Kingston she knew it was fate. He’s everything a girl could want—handsome, charming, rich. With student loans piling up and no clear idea what she wants to do with her future, he’s the best thing she has going. But, Mr Perfect’s fa├žade begins to crumble when she sees him photographed with another woman in the newspaper’s society pages.
Breaking up with her high society boyfriend, a distraught Sasha finds comfort in the arms of moody, hard working Kevin Merchant whose cuteness is overshadowed by his know-it-all attitude. One drunken night of passion is hardly the start of a relationship and when Trevor wants her back the choice seems clear.
In order to graduate Sasha must participate in an important internship. But, she’s paired with the very guy she’s swore never to see again. Forced to work alongside Kevin, long hours in the lab turn into tempting nights of seduction. Should she deny what’s between them and await the return of her ideal boyfriend, or will life teach her lessons this professional student never expected to learn?




Thanks a million, Michelle! More next week, when I'll be quizzing the marvellous Madeline Moore.

This week's post was brought to you by the letter 'M'.

13 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

Great interview!

I loved the quote about why Michelle writes: "For the same reason I became a photographer. I like to create something from nothing, to capture moments—real or fake—and immortalize them."

First, I find that so many authors have other creative outlets, and I think one feeds the other.

Second is the power of creating a story; allowing characters and situations to breathe inside you.

I can relate!

Nikki Magennis said...

I'm with you on the joys of having multiple creative outlets! (Partly because if one kind of creative work is sucking, I can always run off to the other kind of outlet and blow off steam there.)

I expect the basic urge is similar whatever way it expresses itself - writing, cooking, conversation, daydreaming ...

Mandy M Roth said...

She's an amazing photographer! Congrats on Degrees of Passion! I know people are going to love this book as much as I do.

Nikki Magennis said...

Hey Mandy, nice to see you!

And yeah - I'd love to see some of Michelle's photos. Are they about anywhere?!

Jeremy Edwards said...

Hi, Michelle! Like the commenters who have gone before me, I think your insight into the unity of various creative impulses is right on. "Real life is always there waiting," indeed. I love the way you put that.

Here's to your continuing success!

Michelle M Pillow said...

Nikki - Thank you so much for having me!! No, my photos aren't up anywhere on the web. I'm a somewhat recent convert to digital. I dug my heels in for the longest time, unable to let go of my darkroom and print film. I still miss it, but chemicals and print is just too expensive and hard to find these days.

Craig - Thanks! :) I agree. Whenever I'm drained from one, I work on another outlet whether it's taking pictures or playing in photoshop.

Mandy - Glad to see you read your BFF Handbook, lol. Thanks babe!!

Jeremy - Thank you! At least for me, the escapism of books is vital to keeping my sanity sometimes.

:)

Janine Ashbless said...

Wanting to create - it's such a basic human impulse, finding its expression in so many ways: writing, art, children, business, the internet, DIY. We have this need to stretch beyond our own selves and make something other.

It almost redeems the species.
;-)

Nikki Magennis said...

Wow, you were still doing film only recently?! I am impressed. And I loved the magic of the darkroom, even though I never really got the hang of it!

Nikki Magennis said...

- And Janine, this quote seems fitting:

"Imagining what it is like to be someone other than yourself is at the core of our humanity"

Ian McEwan

Michelle M Pillow said...

Janine - LOL "It almost redeems the species."

Nikki - I did black and white, the color chemicals were too toxic and I didn't have good enough ventilation for it. I loved doing all the "techniques"-- embossing, solarization, ect. Thank goodness I found photoshop, though it's not the same. It's layers can sometimes be too perfect.

Nikki Magennis said...

Oh, totally! Don't get me started on analogue v digital. I'd still choose Super 8 over HD anyday.

A musician friend told me that drum machines are programmed to miss-hit every now and then, because perfection doesn't sound as compelling as an imperfectly played 'real' drum.*

*(This might not be completely true. I have a history of falling for a good story!)

Michelle M Pillow said...

I don't know that I'd want a computer doing the "miss-hit" for me. I think half the fun is perfecting something myself. :) Not that I can play drums or know much about it, lol.

Thanks so much for having me today!!
:)

Nikki Magennis said...

It's been a pleasure, Michelle. Thanks for coming!