Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Bronze


He came from a land of ice mountains and green lakes. Their boats were heavy with copper and he wore amber beads. He was so tall, like a king. But when he saw me – ah, brother! – he forgot his own country.
We were blessed beside the stones. My father lifted a cup of mead to ask the gods for strong children.
That night, we lay under the thin moon and my husband showed me how we would make new life – with the length of his slat as hard as the new metal, cutting into me and making me a woman.


nb: I'm really not so hot on history. But - there's no written language left from the Bronze Age, and a lot of uncertainty about most of their culture and life. So I *think* that means I can make up whatever I like?!

Oh, also, word-nerds may find Webster's Online Dictionary a very interesting resource. It has a 'multi-lingual thesaurus translation', and lots and lots of other gizmos, including word usage in literature, quotations and images. Sadly, I still couldn't find the Bronze Age slang for 'cock', so I just made something up that might pass as vaguely pre-Celtic. I hope.

6 comments:

Jeremy Edwards said...

I think the Bronze Age slang for "cock" was (phonetically) cellphone. Complete coincidence, of course.

"Cunt" was waldorfsalad, and "clitoris" was swifferduster.

I hope I have that right.

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks, Jeremy, and what great luck to find a Bronzeage speaker in the house! (If anyone can also speak Beaker, give me a shout.)

Janine Ashbless said...

I got wordenvy. "Slat" is just great! :-)

Nikki Magennis said...

Hehe! It's gaelic for 'rod'. As far as I can remember.

EllaRegina said...

"Slat" works for me. Really beautiful imagery! I'm sorry I missed the Bronze Age.

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks EllaRegina. And you know, you can always recreate the Bronze Age in your living room, using only a small pile of dirt and some raw meat.

At least, I think that's what we were doing.