Sunday, July 06, 2008

#3



Just another love song:



The Beautiful Weekends



Saturday morning, the red ache. A monthly reminder of the body, my womb pinning me in the world. I stay in bed, you bring me hot water bottles and tea, rig up the video so I can watch films.

Saturday evening, in a bar. A muddle of people, old schoolfriends and colleagues. You and I sit back to back, ignoring each other, talking freely and every so often feeling that slight pressure, warmth in the base of the spine.

Saturday night, when we get home, firing the fake-gas fire and sitting by the coals, rambling with beer and cigarettes into the small hours. Giving each other secrets like gifts, knowing that here, in this room, we're unshockable.

Sunday morning, the dark craze of hangover, sucking your cock while you sleep. Waiting for the moment I know you will wake up and turn me over, fuck me so matter-of-factly. Open me up like a magician.

Sunday afternoon, driving the winding road into the rough beauty of the highlands. Climbing up through the rusted hillside, the banana-yellow gorse, the burning sweet air. Knees as weak as string. We reach the waterfall and behind us is this beautiful country, the gathering winter, the storm clouds approaching. Together we watch the river rushing over black rocks, the noise too loud to speak over. You hold my hand. I think - this would be a good place to die. I would be happy

4 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

You always render such strong, tactile images.

The mountains of Idaho, where I come from, are my "highlands." I can relate to your settings through my passion for the Idaho countryside.

Funny, but I almost never write about it. I'm going to have to change that.

Thanks for sharing.

Nikki Magennis said...

Oh, I look forward to reading about the highlands of Idaho, Craig! I wonder sometimes if it's easier to write about places when we're not there, rather than when the landscape is right in front of one's face. Maybe it's just a 'grass is always greener' thing.

G said...

Hi Nikki,

I like your style, extremely interesting.

BTW, I wonder if you are a distant relative? My family come from Northern Ireland, and my dad changed the spelling of our name from Magennis to McGuinness. Never found out why.

Gary McGuinness

Nikki Magennis said...

Hi Gary,

Thank you very much!

I'm sure we probably are related somewhere down the line. There's a Magennis castle in County Down we should probably go and stick a flag in!