Tuesday, April 29, 2008

bloody hell

it's all a little spooky this afternoon. Having a wee pause before the last frantic edit of the New Rakes, I thought I'd check Amazon. Et voila:



And just as I find that, lightning, thunder, hail and monsoon. Not kidding. Hailstones the size of frozen peas.

I hope this is a good omen. I'm hoping hard that the ending works, that my editor likes it, that readers will like it.

Not overly keen on the 'X factor' strapline (would have preferred 'sex and sex and rock n roll'). And why is it yellow? But the couple are pretty and the

good god. This is biblical weather. Sheet lightning. I'm actually a bit scared.

the crowd scene underneath is rocking. Just right.

Kara has pink hair in that pic. I don't think she has pink hair. Actually, I haven't really specified her hair colour. Is that very bad? I've hardly described the heroine much at all. It's quite a tight POV to her and I just couldn't do the 'look in the mirror and admire the hair' thing.

Okay, sometime soon I'll have to stop worrying about it and send it off and hope it's good.

Just after I've studied that cover very obsessively for a while. The lips aren't quite as pretty-pouty as I think Tam's are, but he's got a bit of punky black hair going on. Which could work. What do you think?

14 comments:

barock said...

wew... good luck. ya!

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks, barock!

Alana said...

Ohohoh, I like it. This cover. The title. The New Rakes. Can't wait to read your new book, Nx.

Yeah, pouty lips on men, hot. Punky black hair. Hot too. :-)

Nikki Magennis said...

Hey, very glad you like cover and title, Alana!

Book itself has quite a bit of sulky, pouty, hip and tousled boymen inside.

Janine Ashbless said...

God, it's freaky when that happens, isn't it? Cover art leaping out at you like that... brr...

I've been happy with precisely one of my covers. But I really like yours!

Nikki Magennis said...

Well, especially as the skies went black and the thunder starting banging away! It was all very dramatic. Still, I think it's nae bad.

And I like Wildwood's cover a lot. And 'Magic and Desire'.

(And they're all a lot better than those skanky women-in-lacy-underwear pics BL used to be so fond of! )

Craig Sorensen said...

I gotta think the storm is a good omen.

When I brought up your blog and saw the cover, my first response was "I like it, I like it!" Very eye catching, very sexy.

Congrats and good luck!

Nikki Magennis said...

Cheers Craig!

Oh, and I did enjoy seeing the pics of you and Jeremy at Dick's. ; )

Jeremy Edwards said...

Ooh, how exciting! I'm ready to rush the stage and make a grab for Kara's drink-stained set list.

Congratu-rockin-lations!!

Nikki Magennis said...

Cheers, Jeremy! And then you can stage dive, wearing nothing but a fedora ...

Alana said...

Jeremy and Craig were at a place called Dick's together? Gee. Am I allowed a dirty thought a moment? :-)

Saskia Walker said...

Oh yes, love it. It really is drop dead gorgeous! :) Looking fwd to reading it.

Nikki Magennis said...

Hey, thanks Saskia! Sent the ms off today and now I'm on HOLIDAY!!! Woohooo!

Jeremy Edwards said...

Yay!!!!!!

(Oh, I'd better make that louder, in case you're far away on holiday.)

!!!!!!!!!!