Monday, March 17, 2008

Instrument of the week

Drums.

I need a bass or a tomtom or a big mothafucking drum, the kind that makes a deep boom booming noise.

For an analogy.

At last I'm getting to the big scenes in the novel, loaded with emote and hopefully tension. And for that you need the big drums. I think it might be the sexiest instrument. Pounding, thumping, banging, etc.

On youtube, you can find Sandy Nelson's awesome 'Let there be drums', or this number, unaccountably decorated with various pin-up girls.



'Specially for Janine, Buddy Rich does a drum duel:



I also found some half naked men hitting drums, which is always good.



Maybe if he hit them really hard his pants would fall down completely.

Sexiest of all, though, is this.



Damn. I think it's the way they all sway slightly, very tight, side to side. In sync.

Imagine standing there with five big Russians marching towards you relentlessly.

Boom, boom, boom.


UPDATE: Oh, oh oh, how did I forget? One of my favourite bands ever, Bongwater, did a gorgeous song all about drums:



Yes. They win. Forever.

Bang bang bang.

6 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

Nikki,

I have a set of jet black Premier Drums with Ziljian Cymbals in the basement (with a nice, juicy 24 inch bass drum that can knock the apples out of the neighbor's trees.)

Like you didn't already have me charmed with your lovely writing, you go and post a drum duel between Buddy Rich and Animal?!?!

Listen really close. Hear that? Thump, THUMP, a thumpa THUMP, my right foot pounding out that bass drum groove.

Hope it helps your analogy.

It's the least I can do!

Nikki Magennis said...

Craig - you play drums too?! Wow. I'm envious. I wish I had an ounce of musical ability.

thanks for the drum roll!

Boom bang thump bangety bang

*tish*

Craig Sorensen said...

Hey Nikki!

Nice "tish!"

Nikki Magennis said...

Why thank you.

; )

Janine Ashbless said...

Aw, Nikki - thank-you!

Have you seen Stomp in action?

Nikki Magennis said...

Always a pleasure to dig out the muppets videos, Janine!

Stomp - those dustbin percussive people? I vaguely remember them, I think. Will go research!

bang bang bang (okay I'll stop now) *tish*