Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Apologies

for long silence, stop, battering away at novel, stop, whisker away from half way mark, stop,

Okay, okay. I can take a breath and write something with a proper voice. Just that I feel underwater at the moment, figuratively (and literally, on Sunday, when me and the boyf accidentally hit a water main. Hidden behind the wall. I had no idea water made THAT MUCH NOISE or came out so fast. Shudders. An hour of panic and prayers and Polish plumbers later, and the nightmare was over. But I'm still jumpy when I hear a running tap.)

Otherwise, I'm submerged pretty much constantly in the novel right now. Lost in it. I don't know if it's making sense, but it is making me horny, so something must be working.

And maybe it's just me, but focussing this hard means I let everything else slide. Tonight I shall make a grand effort and wash my hair - in another 35,000 words I shall probably go out and drink til I fall over.

Message ends.

8 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

My brother bought his first house, a real bargain and a fixer-uper of the highest (or is that lowest) order back in Idaho. One of his friends, a bit of a space cadet, was helping us work on the place. Reputed to have some plumbing skills, he settled into the bathroom.

He carefully detached the sink from the wall, leaving it suspended to the wall only by the drain and water lines, which we soon found were pretty much rusted through.

The sink bowed forward, the waterlines popped open, and it sprayed like the super-soaker from hell all over the old bathroom.

There was no shutoff for the water in the house. It took a while to find the shutoff that was located out in the alley.

It wasn't pretty; I have a frame of reference for your water main situation!

I hope you can keep away from tumbling sinks and water mains enough to keep that novel moving along!

Nikki Magennis said...

Trust me, I'm not ever touching any mysterious pipes ever again!

The fucker of it is that we'd already turned off the water (we thought), and didn't realise you need a special big key to turn it off in the street. Horrible, horrible, horrible!

Janine Ashbless said...

Oh God, Nikki - what a nightmare.

Having moved onto a water meter I now have a constant backround nightmare about waterleaks to add to my other paranoias.

Hope there wasn't too much damage.
Enjoy the writing!

Nikki Magennis said...

Hey Janine,

I hate to think how much water we wasted. But on the good side, we found all the rotten wood (this pipe had been leaking for years) and fixed that before the bath collapsed through the floor. Old houses = decades of cowboy DIY!

Nx

Jeremy Edwards said...

Remember now ... next time you're stuck for a plot development—the protagonist's water pipe bursts! Right when they were about to yada yada yada, water all over the etc. etc., making her forget all about the blah blah blah that had brought things to a point of unbearable tension. ; )

Nikki Magennis said...

The thought had crossed my mind, J. Only I think I'll leave the watersports to *ahem* others more talented in that area.

I mean plumbers. Of course. ; )

Anyway, back to the yada yada yada. I've got another thousand yadas to go before knocking off for the day.

Alana said...

Nx, sounds horrible, that pipe noise: exactly the sort of thing that would drive me nuts. On the flip side, so glad to hear you're busy writingwritingwriting that novel.

XXOO

Nikki Magennis said...

Cheers A! And yes I am writing hard - breaking the speed limit and probably the rules of grammar. But it's stacking up, slowly.