Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The thing about working from home is...

Nobody can hear you scream.

I've had a farcical week so far.

Set fire to my synopsis (no, not a fit of rage a la Madelynne, just a random cigarette mishap)

And I've got some terrible stabbing pain in my ear. Coaxed boyf into administering warm olive oil. Only he got cavalier and last night I got a dose of not warm, but instead what I'd maybe call hmm .... shall we say fucking scalding oil poured into my ear, a la gruesome medieaval torture practise.

I did not take it well.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to find an agent and am a bit bemused that it seems to require more effort than finding a publisher.

Vastly unprofessional and fairly ill-tempered writer, slightly maimed with partial hearing loss, invites agents to peruse her singed manuscript. It's sold already - all you need to do is explain what 'permissions' means and argue with my publishers on my behalf. Or pretend to argue with them, at least, just to make me feel important. Maybe drop me an email every so often to remind me I'm sposed to be finishing off Chapter

shit.

Gotta go hastaluegoallbye x

6 comments:

Saskia Walker said...

Oh Nikki, I love you :-) Take care of that ear (and the synopsis.) And, yes, finding an agent IS harder, even with a publisher in hand!
hugs
Saskia

Nikki Magennis said...

Why Saskia, I love you too! Thanks hon. I don't get the agent paradox. Or, should that be simply: 'I don't get an agent'? Sigh...

Madelynne Ellis said...

No idea about agents! Though one would be awful useful. Has your week improved any yet?

Nikki Magennis said...

No. I just did myself a severe injury with a hole punch. Really, there's blood everywhere. I don't know that I'm cut out for this job...

How's your synooooooopssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaarghis coming on love?

Madelynne Ellis said...

I'm resorted to a multi-coloured outline in an attempt to order my thoughts, but mostly it's still arrrrggggghhhh!

And if it's any consolation with the hole punch, I've injured myself with a balloon pump this morning!

Nikki Magennis said...

A balloon pump? Good god. The mind boggles.

Although actually I got blisters last time I used one of them. (Said the actress to the bishop, etc and so forth...)

: )