Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I meant to keep this blog all shiny publishing news. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any at the moment. Instead, some of the random faffing that goes into writing...

I spent yesterday editing a story. Till my eyes were bleeding. Then I fuckin dreamed about it, woke up shouting 'Peacocks!'

Right here, right now, a resolution:

No historical, not ever again. For somebody as anal as me about the details, it's a nightmare. Boyf looked on in despair as I stayed up past midnight (why yes, that is late for me!) googling the botany of mountainous regions in Uttar Prakesh. And certainly, double never-again, historical set in foreign country/sub-continent.*

Next up I am going to write a story that involves zero research whatsoever. I expect that means memoir. Meh. Scratch that.

Damn, I hope it gets accepted.

Otherwise, did I have anything valuable and meaningful to say? Not today. I'll crawl back into my turps-scented hibernation hole then. Someone give me a shove when it's time for port and wensleydale.


*PS: I reserve the right to contradict myself and write several more historical foreign stories in future. I'm nothing if not inconsistent!

6 comments:

Jeremy Edwards said...

Customer:
Uuuuuh, Wensleydale.

Owner:
Yes?

Customer:
Ah, well, I'll have some of that!

Owner:
Oh! I thought you were talking to me, sir. Mister Wensleydale, that's my name.

[ex. Monty Python]

Nikki Magennis said...

Wasn't that the giant hedgehog closely related to the Kray twins? Or am I dreaming?

By the by, I'd be interested to hear your take on the use of 'lingam', Mr Edwards.

Jeremy Edwards said...

Ah. The giant hedgehog (at least the one I know of) would be Spiny Norman. But the Kray à clef who lived in fear of him was Dinsdale (hence, perhaps, the association with Wensleydale?).

By the by, I'd be interested to hear your take on the use of 'lingam', Mr Edwards.

The linguistic use? Or the functional use? ; )

Nikki Magennis said...

Quite right. You win on the Python quiz.

And I mean using lingam as a word, you cunning linguist, you.

Jeremy Edwards said...

I think those words (yoni and lingam) are beautiful, though I've yet to employ them myself. Did you use "lingam" in your current piece? If so, I know you must have wielded the word with perfect rhythm and sensitivity.

Nikki Magennis said...

Oh yes, how did you guess? Perfect rhythm and sensitivity. It's all in the wrist. ; )