Friday, August 10, 2007

Everything that rises...



- pretty, isn't it? (Poster from 'I'm a Cyborg, but that's okay' - the pretty man is called Rain. I don't know who the girl is, but I would like to be her for a day.*)

Lately, I've been noticing little things more. Small pleasures rise up:

Polka dots on a silk scarf, how family members can insult each other but its an act of love. Scones with jam and cream. Vitamin B. Watching the daily saga of the fruit shop outside my window. Freckles. Gestures. Finally, after a year and a half, learning the name of the woman who sells me a newspaper every day. My best friend passing her driving test (on the 8th attempt).

Life is good, little tiger. Various and good.

As for writing - watch the blue dot on the wordmeter on the sidebar as it grows infinitesimally bigger day by day...I'm starting to think that writing is not about knowing all the answers in advance but that the writer changes with the writing. That work can change you like dreams can change you, subtly, over time, in ways you couldn't imagine.

With luck.


*And no, not just because she's floating about in a padded room. She has cool hair.



Good Fortune by PJ Harvey

3 comments:

Anne Tourney said...

I'm starting to think that writing is not about knowing all the answers in advance but that the writer changes with the writing. That work can change you like dreams can change you, subtly, over time, in ways you couldn't imagine.

A fascinating, beautiful thought. I'd never really considered that, but you're exactly right -- when you're writing freely and honestly, and you stop wrestling with the story and let yourself be open to the possibilities of your imagination, the writing does change you.

I look forward to reading the stories that this new voice is telling you.

Nikki Magennis said...

Hey, Anne. Thank you - I hope it's going to work with this book!

There's got to be some kind of alchemy in writing, don't you think? Or in story, at least. Breaking patterns, finding new ones, the inner logic of a story has got to be transformative...

Smut Girl said...

See, now, when I float like that it usually means that I've had too much to drink. And my hair never looks that good. It sort of sticks out in 20 different directions. I will watch your blue bubble thingy and cheer you on. :)
xoxo
Sommer