Sunday, May 06, 2007

Ravelling and unravelling



- By Harland Miller.

It seems to have come out very small. Shame. The fine print is hilarious.

Anyway. Stories. Working on 'Starfucker'. I spent yesterday researching the chemicals used to disinfect hot tubs. I learned that 'bromide' comes from a Greek root - meaning 'stinks of he-goat'. I got lost in chat rooms that discuss scum and water odour and shocking the water. I asked boyf for a trip to B&Q to inhale chemicals (refused). I lost the thread of the story and found it again, only to lose the point.

All this for one line - something about her skin smelling of chlorine. Daft job, this.

Today I will fix the imaginary hot tub, and start subjugating the woman in my next story 'Under his hand, I blossom'. I do love that title. As far as research goes, I think it's just heather and sunblock today. Onwards...

2 comments:

Murray Suid said...

No wonder writers are so smart. I'm referring to the fact that--for one line in a story!-you invested a day to tracking down facts about a disinfectant.

I'm not criticizing. I once pissed away an equal amount of time seeking the etymology of "ammonia."

About 5,000 years ago, when pilgrims visited the temple of Ammon in Thebes, they tied their camels nearby. The camels urinated into the sand. Just a smelly nuisance until someone discovered that the urine-soaked sand produced a powerful cleaning agent, named--in honor of Ammon-- "salt of Ammon," which eventually gave rise to the word "ammonia."

Nikki Magennis said...

Murray! I'm honoured to have you here!

Next time I have an etymology related question, I should remember who to ask...

Is that Ammon as in Amon-Ra? Different spelling?

Wow. I wonder if I can work that into the hot tub story somehow...so far it's about space and the cosmos. As well as the stench of he-goats, and procreation and entropy. Hmm. I like making highly obscure word-trails for a story that looks at first glance like mere smut. Thanks for the tip!