Thursday, March 01, 2007

Two years...

...to the day since I threw off the shackles of gainful employment and became A Business Woman.

Since then there have been more ups and downs than a tart's knickers. But I'm still here, still working, and still trying to make sense of Tax Returns.

Here's my brief and unreliable advice about being self employed:

1. It's terrifying. White knuckle, sleepless night, hair-falling out terrifying. When you're busy, you're very stressed, and when you're not busy you're very very stressed.

2. It's the closest you can come to dropping out of the human race. There is no Boss, and no Payroll Department. (Unless you count the shoebox under the sofa).

3. Everything you achieve, every small little victory, and every bit of money, and every milestone is entirely yours. I think this is what they call a handmade life. It's wonderful, and I don't know if I could live any other way.

Cheers!

5 comments:

capricornBigcat said...

Ah, what wonderful, encouraging advice to this budding erotic writer! (Didn't you forget the growing pile of rejection slips?)Anyway, here's to the next bonkbuster - Cheers Nikki, we love you!

Shanna Germain said...

Oh yes, this is the exact description of my handmade life. (love that term, by the way).

I wouldn't trade it for the world though. I'm totally spoiled. There's no way that I could go back to the real world now, because I've conveniently forgotten a whole lot of skills, including how to:

1. Commute farther than 20 feet to get to work
2. Have a boss
3. Work on someone else's schedule
4. Do piddling jobs just to fill up the eight-hours of the day
5. Make small talk around the coffee maker

And various other skills that I don't miss one bit!

Best, s.

Shanna Germain said...

Congrats, by the way. That's what I really mean to say!

:) s.

Nikki Magennis said...

Thanks, both!

I certainly don't miss much about Real Jobs.

Alison Tyler said...

Perfect description, Nikki! And major congratulations!

The best thing to me is actually making a living by writing. Especially when a writing teacher once told me that I wasn't any good and I should give it up. (I was a freshman in college in an English comp class. But I was working on a newspaper, and I kept turning in pieces with "leads" rather than "topic sentences.")

But I'm one of the strange ones. I do miss getting all dressed up and going to a "real" office. Sigh.