Wednesday, August 30, 2006

In a mirror, darkly...


I just got back from life drawing. I'm so tired I feel hysterical, and half drunk, and happy. It's so nice to turn your head off and see only with your eyes and hands for two hours. Line, shadow, temperature, tone, negative space, points and angles. Except not in those words, not in any words. Because the whole point is reflecting what is before you, without thinking getting in the way.

And now I'm starting to think how one's head gets saturated with words, till they're spilling out of your ears and mouth and hands. There's a whole lot too many words out there - from politicians spinning newspeak to newspapers churning out vapid opinion in the guise of news, to (dare I say it) half drunk bloggers pontificating about their drawing class.

So I'll shut the fuck up, and leave you with one of the pictures what I drew...

3 comments:

Anastasia said...

Sometimes words (from media, the physical world, within, what we silently read etc) can accumulate to the point where a bottleneck effect occurs, and an outlet's required ..and I reckon your expression through your drawing (lines, shade..) give a glimpse of the energy within, and that produces the appealing and realistic form that you've drawn, it's eyecatching.. and do you have plans to pursue art? Cos you should.

Nikki said...

Yes, I get the bottleneck. Almost daily.

As for pursuing art, I've been trying to for years but the damn thing keeps running in the other direction.

Thanks anastasia. I like the picture too, even though it looks like her hand is a foot and the other one's missing...

Anastasia said...

I took it to be her leg bent at the knee, and her hand rubbing her leg, and there's a lot of movement in the lines.

it's a picture that you can continue looking at, it's great that you keep art within your life, and you never know how it will flower